Today, Loyola Academy's building was evacuated. The evacuation was the result of a faulty wire in our electrical system. This has been confirmed by the Wilmette Fire Department. The fire department assures us that this was a building malfunction and that the building is safe.
Because this is the anniversary of the Parkland shooting, the Wilmette Police already had planned to have an increased presence at area schools today. They have been with us and will remain with us throughout the day, and they assure us that our students are safe.
We are grateful to the Wilmette Police Department and the Wilmette Fire Department. As always, their response was quick, professional and thorough.
Finally, we would like to thank all of our students, faculty and staff for their cooperation this morning during the evacuation. Please be assured that our procedures today were effective.