A Vision Takes Shape
After forty-six years in Rogers Park, Loyola Academy faced a pivotal moment in its history. Enrollment had surged following World War II, growing by more than 200 students to 816 young men. The Academy's facilities could no longer adequately accommodate its expanding student body, and sharing space with Loyola University made it increasingly difficult to meet the educational needs of future generations. School leaders recognized that a new home would be necessary if Loyola was to continue fulfilling its mission.
After an extensive search and years of planning, the Jesuits identified a site in Wilmette near Lake Avenue and the Edens Expressway. Acquiring the property required negotiating with multiple landowners, navigating zoning challenges, and securing the resources needed to undertake one of the most ambitious projects in the Academy's history. What began as an idea soon became a vision for a campus that could support Loyola's growth while preserving its commitment to academic excellence and faith formation.
On July 8, 1956, before a crowd of approximately 3,000 parents, students, alumni, and friends, Loyola Academy officially broke ground on its new campus. The ceremony marked the beginning of a new chapter—one rooted in the same Jesuit values that had guided the Academy since 1909, but with a renewed capacity to serve generations of students yet to come.